Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hallmark of Soccer Goalie Drills

I am a newly graduate of soccer goalie drills of my team. I was "the chosen one", as my coach would address me, to be the teams' goalkeeper. I was at first irritated when my coach passes on the ball to me and said: "Spend your next eight hours with your new best friend on the team". I told myself that as a player I should be cooperative with my coach but at that moment my blood rushes up through my and I wanted to yell at him. But then I controlled my emotions and looked seriously into the ball.

Soccer goalie drills is not a one step ladder as what my coach would tell me. It is a great task given to a competitive player. My task is completely pro team and anti opponents team. Even if my teammates fail to get on the lead of the ball, we could still score for a point if I make my move marvelous that is, not letting the ball pass the goal cage.

My first drill was the complete familiarity of the ball. You may say it is quite simple but you are mistaken. I must learn to juggle the ball with my hands, wrists and forearms to be able to build my strength and vigilance in ball handling. Alertness is very much needed because we always give the opponent that single chance to score and me, as a goalkeeper must be vigilant to compensate for my team.

Footwork soccer goalie drills were also part of my training. I need to run and embrace the ball before it turns to be a point in favor of our opponent. I have been able to develop my field vision and precision of the soccer field.

The hallmark of it all is what my coach told me as the golden rule of goalie drills. With me as the goalkeeper of the team must first set the goal in the mind of the attacker who holds ball and secondly on the goalpost.

No comments: